What you need for this recipe:
- 170g plain flour
- 170g self raising wholemeal flour
- 250ml milk
- 1 x 15ml spoon of lemon juice
- 1 x 5ml spoon bicarbonate of soda
- Weighing scales
- large bowl
- measuring spoon
- measuring jug
- flour dredger
- baking tray
- oven gloves
- cooling rack
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or gas mark 6.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk to make it curdle.
- Sieve both flours, and the bicarbonate of soda, into the large bowl. Tip in the bran from the sieve.
- Add the milk and mix everything together quickly to form a soft dough.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead lightly for a few moments to form a round, flattened ball.
- Place the dough onto a floured baking tray and score a cross on top of the dough.
- Carefully, place the bread into the hot oven, wearing oven gloves.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Wearing oven gloves, remove the bread from the oven, and place onto the cooling rack.
Something else to try:
Eat the bread while it is still warm, perhaps with soup.
Vary the flavour of the bread by adding dried fruit or seeds.