What you need for this recipe:
- 75g plain white flour
- 25g plain wholemeal flour
- ½ x 5ml spoon of mustard powder
- 50g butter or margarine
- 50g cheddar cheese
- v2 x 15ml spoons cold water
- baking tray
- weighing scales
- sieve, measuring spoons
- mixing bowl, grater
- chopping board
- palette knife
- flour dredger
- rolling pin
- oven gloves
- cooling rack
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC or gas mark 6.
- Grease or line the baking tray.
- Sift the flour and mustard powder into the mixing bowl.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter or margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Grate the cheese.
- Stir the cheese into the flour mixture.
- Using a palette knife, mix to form a smooth dough, adding a little cold water to help bind the mixture together.
- Roll out, on a lightly floured surface, to form a rectangle about 0.5cm thick.
- Trim away the edges and cut into thin strips, about 1.5cm x 7cm, using the palette knife.
- Place the straws on the baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before transferring from the baking tray onto the cooling rack.
Use the rolling pin like a ruler, to help you to cut even strips.
Something else to try:
You may like to brush the cheese sticks with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds before baking, but take care, as a few people are allergic to seeds.
Add mixed herbs, chilli flakes or a different type of cheese.