What you need for this recipe:
- 50g butter or margarine
- 75g granulated sugar
- 1 small egg yolk
- 100g plain flour
- baking tray
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- oven gloves
- cooling rack
- What you do Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Grease a baking tray.
- Beat the butter or margarine and sugar in a bowl until creamy.
- Add the egg yolk, a little at a time.
- Sieve the flour into the bowl.
- Mix well to a firm dough.
- Shape into 8 biscuits.
- Place on the baking tray and, using oven gloves, place in the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until golden.
- After baking, remove the biscuits from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
Do not crowd the biscuits on the baking tray, as they may spread while they are in the oven.
Something else to try:
You can add optional ingredients after the flour,
e.g. 25g of either dried apricots, cherries, chocolate chips or chocolate-covered raisins. For biscuits with a bite, add 5ml spoon of either all spice, mixed spice or ground ginger at step 4.