What you need for this recipe:
- 100g plain white flour
- 25g rolled oats
- 30g caster sugar
- 25g desiccated coconut
- 20ml spoon golden syrup
- 50g margarine
- ½ x 5ml spoon bicarbonate of soda
- 10ml spoon boiling hot water
- Baking tray
- weighing scales
- mixing bowl
- wooden spoon
- 5 ml spoon
- 15ml spoon
- small bowl
- palette knife
- flour dredger
- oven gloves
- cooling rack
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC or gas mark 4.
- Grease or line the baking tray.
- Sift flour into the bowl.
- Mix in the oats, sugar and coconut.
- Melt the golden syrup and margarine together on a low heat in the small saucepan.
- Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the boiling hot water and add to the melted butter immediately.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly until combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly into 8 portions using the 15ml spoon.
- Use lightly floured hands to shape the biscuits into round balls and place onto the prepared baking tray.
- Slightly flatten the biscuits with a lightly floured fork.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool on the baking tray for a few minutes, to allow the biscuits to firm, before transferring them to the cooling rack.
Something else to try:
Try adding some dried fruit to the mixture.